Biotuff is all about creating a sustainable future for all Australians. But what other projects around the country pave the way for a cleaner, greener environment? We discover the crucial steps and innovative projects occurring around this precious land we call home.
Sustainable practices are vital for our planet's health and future generations. As climate change becomes more prevalent, constant change is required to ensure we all play our part in helping to reduce emissions, waste, and additional damaging practices that our children will feel for decades, if not centuries.
It can all feel a little doom and gloom, particularly when watching the planet's current state and destructive weather patterns occurring worldwide. From devastating floods and storms to unprecedented wildfires and pollution. However, many outstanding initiatives are set to improve our environment though changing how we shop, manufacture, and farm—bringing hope to the next generation of Australians and their environment.
The great news is that we can all make a change to help benefit our planet. With understanding, education, and change, we all have the power to create a much brighter future and save our environment from continuing destruction.
What Is The Circular Economy?
The circular economy is all about creating a circle when it comes to our valuable resources. In other words – reusing, recycling, and keeping these resources out of overflowing landfills that produce toxic greenhouse emissions.
The traditional economy platform was detrimental to our environment. The 'throw away' concept of this type of economy has created an enormous problem for governments and the environment while putting the risk of the type of future our children will witness.
Sadly, the world creates waste from precious resources that are said to be 1.7 times more than what the earth can support – meaning the earth will take around one year and eight months to regenerate what we use in a year. This is not sustainable, and action needs to be urgently taken.
The circular economy movement can be applied to all businesses, corporations, and individuals. It's all about changing how we shop and promoting reusable products and those that can be broken down – cue the compostable products. Taking power back by how we shop and the businesses we support. Making a conscious choice to ensure our options are in line with the health of the planet
Biotuff strongly believes in encouraging the circular economy and abolishing the current throwaway system. The circular economy is a framework solution that targets climate change, waste, pollution, and biodiversity by addressing critical social aspects. It can help create employment, cut emissions, and reduce waste and pollution for our global environment. It's time to start seeing our waste as a resource that can be transformed into golden soil and returned to the earth. Changes in how we shop, the products we buy, and how we dispose of these products can literally be a lifesaver for our planet
What Is Regenerative Agriculture?
Regenerative agriculture works with the environment to produce food while caring for the soil that is paramount for all food production without all the nasty synthetic additions commonly used in the past. Also known as ecological farming or agroecology, it's all about promoting the importance of soil quality and biodiversity in our agriculture sector.
Think organic farming, biodynamics, permaculture, and regenerative agriculture. This can include a combination of eco-friendly practices such as mixing pastures with various seeds, companion planting, allowing different stock to graze together, and planting trees. Working to abolish pests through a natural process while keeping animals healthy and the soil nurtured with precisely what it needs. It prevents harmful chemicals from invading the ground and ending up in waterways.
These practices not only rehabilitate the land we use for farming but can also promote carbon sequestration and help endorse a positive drive against climate change.
Biotuff material, alongside council-driven eco-friendly practices – cue the compost - allows many Australians to see the importance on a larger scale. Improving land quality by boosting soil carbon, water retention, soil quality, and biodiversity. A win-win for our farmers, the community, and our precious planet.
How Can I Make A Difference To The Environment?
We can all easily invest in the circular economy and reduce waste heading into landfills. Here are our top 10 tips to take positive action for the environment.
- Use compostable, and recycled products – ensure these are up to the correct standards, and invest in good quality products that can be easily broken down.
- Purchase products that last – they may cost a little more but investing in products that last will help you abolish the 'throw away' concept. These products can then be resold and upcycled.
- Repair Repair Repair – If something is broken, fix it. Just like in our grandparent's days, fixing is always better. Teaching our children to fix something will have lasting results for our landfills and their future.
- Shop Second Hand – Second-hand shops today contain many incredible products. Don't shop for new items; check out your local second-hand shop.
- Ditch the Plastic – refuse traditional plastic in all forms. Choose compostable plastics and ensure you dispose of these correctly.
- Reduce Your Food Waste - According to the 2021 Rabobank Food Waste Report, the national food waste bill is approximately 10.3 billion dollars, enough to feed around 1.1 million households. With the average Australian household wastes around 11% of the food they buy. Meal planning and composting is a straightforward way to reduce this food ending up in a landfill.
- Ensure You Recycle Correctly – many of us 'wishcycle'! Get savvy with your recycling and waste disposal.
- Make An Family Eco-Friendly Plan – make a plan with your family on reducing your waste, recycling practices, and utilising products that help our environment.
- Buy Reusable Products – purchase products that can be reused easily. It's time to rethink plastic drinking bottles and disposable coffee cups.
- Get Involved In Local Environmental Projects – become a local eco-hero. Invest time in supporting local government environmental movements such as tree planting and push your local council for FOGO to turn your kitchen waste into composting.
With some minor changes, every individual can help create a better future. By making changes in our homes, choosing to shop more environmentally conscious, and supporting those businesses with the environment at the forefront of their operations, we can build a better and brighter outlook for our children and future leaders.